Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
After a fire, prioritize safety and take the following steps:
- Evaluate safety: Determine if it's safe to stay in the house and be cautious of electrical and slip hazards.
- Perform safe activities: Limit movement to prevent soot particles from embedding into surfaces, and keep hands clean.
- Protect surfaces: Place towels or linens on rugs, upholstery, and high-traffic areas.
- Safeguard appliances: If the power is off, empty the freezer and refrigerator and prop their doors open.
- Clean houseplants, change HVAC filters, and cover air registers.
Avoid these actions:
- Don't attempt DIY cleaning without consulting professionals.
- Avoid using food or beverages stored near the fire.
- Do not turn on wet ceiling fixtures due to potential wiring damage.
- Seek specialized dry cleaning for garments affected by smoke odor.
Remember, safety comes first, and contacting professionals, like SERVPRO of Bellevue at (425) 454-3900, is crucial for effective fire damage restoration.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (425) 454-3900
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.